Saturday, April 7, 2012

Ms. Bunny and her 'Tails'

So, today (April 7, 2012) I had the opportunity to present my Story Time Adventures program at the National Steinbeck Museum in Salinas, California. For locals, and those who aren't so close, this is a beautiful monument to author John Steinbeck. The main gallery is quite spectacular with photos and images of Steinbeck, and tributes to his life in Salinas, Monterey County, and his works.

About a month ago I participated in the celebration of Steinbeck's 110th birthday celebration. I'd been 'knocking' on the Center's door for quite some time, expressing my interest in doing my program there, and finally, it clicked! there weren't a lot of children present, but some did come into the hall where I was placed and we had a good time. I then suggested to the personnel that I come back to do a Spring/Easter program, and they were intrigued by the idea. We set it up, were able to get donations of prizes, and away we went.

I arrived at the Center about 30 minutes before the program was set to start. I always get butterflies before I do a program--especially if I'm not sure if anyone will show up. I paced nervously in front of the main entrance, but my nerves calmed as families began to show up. There were about 30 children in attendance, ranging in age from babies up to about 11 years old. I read for 30 minutes, then the kids were let loose to hunt for eggs in the gallery. Afterwards, they were able to turn in their eggs for a prize. We had great prizes, such as tickets to amusement parks and tickets to a local fair. I was thrilled!

I am hoping that I can continue my relationship with the Center and continue to do more programs. I will celebrate my second anniversary of Story Time Adventures this summer, and I am more than delighted that little by little my program is still being recognized as a quality program for schools, scouts, libraries--you name it!

If you'd like to learn more, please visit my site, www.storytimeadventures.wetpaint.com.

Happy Reading!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment