Saturday, November 6, 2010

Kids saying the darndest things...

October was a busy month for me, portraying Sadie the Scarecrow. I appeared at the San Benito County Fair, Uesugi Pumpkin Park in Morgan Hill, at two elementary schools, and at Casa de Fruta in Hollister. Hopefully there will be more stints next year, but for a first-time effort, I was quite pleased with what I was able to do.

But.. on Friday, November 5, I worked as a substitute teacher for Ladd Lane Elementary School in Hollister. I enjoy working there because the staff is so friendly and helpful, and they have a good group of kids. I've worked there, on and off, since the beginning of 2008, so I know the staff and students.

Anyhow.. a few weeks ago I'd been hired to read as Sadie the Scarecrow to the kids in grades Kindergarten through second. When I came into the class yesterday, I told the kids I was the Scarecrow Lady. They even had my photo up on their wall! But here's the funny part...

I took a quick break during their snack period to use the restroom. The other kindergarten teacher was in charge of them for a few minutes. Once the kids are done eating their snack, they line up to go to the playground, and the teachers (me, in this case) act as yard duty.

Well, while I was in the restroom another teacher I know who teaches third grade, came by and told the kids, who were being a bit noisy, that they needed to listen to their teacher. She assumed that their teacher was the other one watching the kids. But 'my' kids piped up and said, "She's not our teacher, our teacher is the Scarecrow!" LOL..

No comments:

Post a Comment