Monday, July 26, 2010

Next Story Time July 28 Mars Hill Coffeehouse

So,

I am quite pleased that my first story time at Mars Hill Coffeehouse in Hollister, Ca., was a great success. 72 people showed up-62 were kids! I guess the pirate theme might have drawn them in. My next one is "WILD for Animals" on July 28 at 11 am. I'm excited about this one because I've come across volunteers who are willing to dress up in animal costumes. I have the 'Mansmith Pig' there. If you live in Hollister, on Fridays you will see 'the pig' on the corner of Tres Pinos and Airline Hwy., waving her sign trying to entice people to eat at their BBQ place. Another woman said her daughter would dress in her bald eagle costume, and I may have volunteers from a local theater company dress up, too. Bring your cameras, parents! This should be lots of fun!

The next story time is on August 4, 1:30 pm. I started to panic because this is the same day as Kids at the Park in Hollister, but I'm going to try to use it as a definite marketing tool and pass out flyers that morning to parents. I've been doing my best to do grass-roots marketing to get the word out about story time. It was in our local paper this past week, the Pinnacle, so I'm hoping people will remember and make it out.

I've enjoyed doing the story time planning because it allows me to be as creative as I'd like to be. I'm so used to following others' way of doing things. I keep thinking, "Oh no, I can't do this or that because it might not be right..." but then I have to give myself a little kick and think, "But, I'm the 'boss' so I can do what I please..." It's rather refreshing.

For example, the first story time was about pirates, so I dressed as a pirate, but lots of kids did, too! For the Animal story time, I've asked kids to dress up, but to also bring a stuffed animal. I'm also working with a local children's shop and they're lending me a stuffed giraffe, stuffed elephant, and stuffed dalmatian. These are larger animals. I'm also bringing in a bunch of stuffed animals owned by my younger son. What also excites me about this story time is that I'm incorporating some things that are different. For example, I'm going to teach the kids how to sign animal names. That's a pretty easy lesson. I'll do the sign then have them guess what it is. That will be incorporated throughout the session. I'm also doing a trivia contest.. asking them questions about 'famous dogs.' It's about cartoon dogs, but let's see who can remember the name of the Grinch's dog, or possibly the name of the two parent dogs in "101 Dalmations."

For the 4th of August, it's all about transportation. I've been working with a man who is a model railroad enthusiast, and he's supposed to bring out model trains. I hope it works.

Hope to see you there.
Mars Hill Coffeehouse in Hollister is located at 610 San Benito Street. Get there early for a good seat!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment