Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Free Story Time in Hollister, California

Well, it's only a week until I do my first story time here in Hollister, Ca. It will be held at Mars Hill Cofeehouse located at 610 San Benito Street. I certainly hope we have a good turn out that morning--11 am to noon. This will be a pirate theme, so I've been purchasing pirate books and thinking up things to do that are related to pirates.

I'm doing this on a volunteer basis. My inspiration comes from an 'old' friend, John Zickefoose, who I met about, wow, 13 years ago in Corona, California. John is such a great presenter, but I found out that he did not learn how to read until he was 35. Can you imagine that? He said he even graduated from high school, but he wasn't able to read the words on his diploma. He learned how to read after suffering a back injury which prevented him from continuing the type of work he was doing. It's amazing how life works.

But, John's message to kids and adults was to keep reading, reading, reading. I really want to pass that message along to the people here in Hollister. I'm a volunteer, I'm not making any money from this. I also want to give something to the community--to the people who are looking for things they can do with their children, for free!

My hope is to continue doing this for the rest of the summer, and possibly during the holidays. My next thought is to do a Hawaiian Beach Party reading event. Or, take a holiday from video games.. something along those lines. I'm looking for hula dancers who will perform for free.

Thanks for reading my blog! Hope to see you at Mars Hill Coffeehouse in Hollister on July 14, 11 am, 610 San Benito Street.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment