Sunday, July 4, 2010

Julie Engelhardt--story time

Ah.. it's been quite some time since I've posted to my blog. Things have been a bit slow regarding writing, but I'm not giving up! I have a new project in the works.

I've always been intrigued by reading to children, it's something I love to do. So, on Wednesday, July 14, from 11 am to noon, I'm going to be offering a free story time at Mars Hill Coffeehouse http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hollister-CA/Mars-Hill-Coffeehouse/79929789196 in Hollister, CA. It's going to be a pirate theme.. Buccaneer Bay. I've found some really cute books that I'm going to read, such as "That's Not My Pirate," by Fiona Watts, http://www.amazon.com/Thats-Pirate-Usborne-Touchy-Feely/dp/0794517021/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278280502&sr=8-1, and "Bubble Bath Pirates," by Jarrett J. Krosoczka http://www.amazon.com/Bubble-Bath-Pirates-Jarrett-Krosoczka/dp/0670035998/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278280540&sr=8-1, and others. This is absolutely free for everyone.

My intent is two-fold. First, I really want to offer something to the families in Hollister. It's a lovely little town, but it is so devoid of anything that is family friendly. Sure, we have our regular fast food restaurants with their play structures, but that tends to get tiresome, especially when your kids get too old to climb through the structures, and when the smell of burgers and french fries get to be too much. We had two great places in town: Jump-2-It and The Players Edge, but they closed down, so we really have nothing for the kids to do. There are seasonal sports, but the summer tends to drag on. Plus, some of these activities are pricey! So, that's why this is free.

Second, I want to share my love for books, especially children's books. I came up with this idea a few weeks ago, and I was really quite surprised that Mars Hill gave me the green light. I even have sponsors for this.. Hollister Center for Cosmetic Dentistry--Dr. Mark Darnell; http://www.cartoonthunder.com/; and http://www.safehouseweb.com/. Yay! Their sponsorships are helping me to aquire items I can give to the kids, like coloring sheets and other goodies.

I am also planning on dressing, as best as possible, as a pirate for the day, and telling pirate jokes and songs. For example, how much does it cost a pirate to buy earrings? Answer: 'A buccaneer!" Get it.. a buck an ear! And what is a pirate's favorite kind of food? Barrr-b-que! Okay.. goofy at best, but I'm hoping the kids will enjoy it.

I'd also like to take this and expand, and hopefully perform at elementary schools and other venues in central coastal California.

So, swing by and see us at Mars Hill Coffeehouse on Wednesday, July 14, at 11 am. It starts then! No stragglers, or ye'll be walkin' the plank, matey! Arghhhh. The coffee house is at 610 San Benito Street. For info call 831 245 8462.

Please feel free to post this and pass this along. Pirates, pirates, pirates!

No comments:

Post a Comment