Monday, March 7, 2011

Story Time Adventures Camp Read-a-Lot!






So the other day I came up with the idea of holding a summer reading camp. At first I was thinking along the lines of making it like a classroom, with a structured setting, but then I decided that there are times when I don't find that to be fun as a substitute teacher, so why in the world would the kids think it's fun?

I've learned from a teacher who was my son's first grade instructor. She always has great lesson plans, but she also reminds me, "To have fun." So that's what my plans are for this spring and summer.


My first 'camp' will actually be held during my children's spring break, on April 19, 20, 21. The camp theme will be 'Rescue Me From Boredom: Let's Read!" I know that I spent many a summer going to the library with my mom and checking out books to take home, and that's what saved me from going nuts when school was out.

The Rescue Me theme goes like this: We will incorporate three different types of emergency/rescue personnel in our program. It will include police, fire, and paramedics. For example, on the police day, either I, or a police volunteer, will read Officer Buckle and Gloria, a delightful book written by Peggy Rathmann. It's a Caldecott Medal Winner. We will do activities centered around this book. But, what I also want to do is have the officer talk about his/her job, what it takes to be a police officer, and how reading is very important in his/her job. They will also show the children their patrol car and how it works. We will also read other books that relate to police work. The children will also be able to take home their own copy of this book.

On the day that we discuss fire fighters, we will take a walking field trip to our local fire station, or, I may have the parents meet us there and join in on the fun. There's nothing better than being up close and personal with a big, red, rig. I'm also hoping to find someone who has a Dalmation that the kids can meet.

With the paramedic, I'm hoping that he/she can bring a rig over as well, or maybe we can visit the place where they are housed.

There are so many possibilities! I hope you'll take into consideration that this is a great program for your kids. The sessions are 2.5 hours each.

Happy Reading!
Julie Engelhardt
http://www.storytimeadventures.wetpaint.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment