Saturday, March 26, 2011

San Juan Bautista and Story Time Adventures

Yesterday, Friday, March 25, I had the pleasure of reading to children at the YMCA after school program in the town of San Juan Bautista, California. The town's about 10-15 minutes from where I live, in Hollister, but it feels worlds different at times because there is so much history there. Not only is there the Mission, but there are other historic buildings throughout town that are quite interesting to visit.

There's one school in town, San Juan School, and that's where I did my program. I'd been contacted by the YMCA to do this program, so I dressed in my pirate costume and read pirate books, such as Bubble Bath Pirates and Pirate ABC.

Some of the books were kind of young for the audience, but the one thing I could tell is that these kids are craving programs such as these. One girl asked when I'd be back, then said,"We're here all the time." Of course, it's up to the YMCA as to when I do more of these programs. I've also appeared at the YMCA programs in Hollister for Gabilan Hills and Sunny Slope schools.

I'm also looking forward to hopefully becoming the newest Story Time Lady for the San Juan Bautista City Library. I believe they had a woman named Adele who did a fabulous job with story time programs, but I'm not quite certain what the situation is and why she is no longer doing them. I know that she is beloved by the people of SJB, and in no way am I trying to take her place. I hope that we can offer a great deal to the children of San Juan Bautista.

If you have comments or questions, please email me at Jengelha@aol.com. My site is www.storytimeadventures.wetpaint.com.

Happy Reading!
Julie Engelhardt

No comments:

Post a Comment