Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Story time preparation


Preparing for Story Time Adventures is somewhat like putting a puzzle together. You want to find the right kind of books and pair them with appropriate songs and fingerplays.


This week's story time at Mars Hill Coffeehouse in Hollister, CA, is about Transportation. I came up with this idea primarily because I have sons, and when they were younger, they liked playing with toy cars and other vehicles. Funny thing, my younger son, who's 8, acted as if he'd sworn off playing with cars until I started to prepare for this story time, and he suddenly became quite interested in the toy cars I am giving out to the attendees.


This week's story time is Let's GO! Cars, planes, trucks and trains. I figure that I have to catch someone's attention with that. Both of my boys had train sets when they were younger, and so many moms have already told me that their children have the wooden train sets at home. I also have a local model train enthusiast, Bob Peck, who's bringing in model trains.


Bob's been great. After doing a bunch of calling and digging and looking for someone who'd be willing to work with me and bring in a train set, I 'found' Bob. We met up at Mars Hill one day to discuss our options, and he couldn't have been any nicer. When I called one day to check up, I apologized for all of the pre-production, but he said he was having a great time getting his trains together. Thank you, Bob!


So many people have been great about helping me with the program. I am extremely grateful to those who have extended a helping hand.


I hope to see everyone at Mars Hill Coffeehouse, 610 San Benito Street, Hollister, at 1:30 pm. Get there early so you can grab some refreshments and get a good seat. All Aboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment