Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Whole New Year

The latter part of 2010 was quite interesting. Story Time Adventures took a whole new twist since I was able to bring in quite a bit of business as Mrs. Claus. It was such a delight dressing as Santa's 'better half' and reading Christmas stories to children. I appeared at the YMCA after school program, at Anubee Children's Boutique in San Jose, CA; for the Girls Scouts--it was a great deal of fun. But, I may have been 'caught' a few times during my sessions. Girls who still believe in Santa and the magic of the North Pole did recognize me, and some parents had to do some quick thinking as to why Mrs. Engelhardt was dressed as Mrs. Claus.

I had the most fun as Mrs. Claus when I appeared for home visits. One was for a friend who had 'won' a story time adventure program from me. She originally wanted it for one of her son's birthdays, but he decided he didn't want a story teller. I still wanted to give her her prize, so I suggested bringing Mrs. Claus in. She did, during a play group over the holidays, and it was delightful. The kids ranged in age from about 3 or 4 year old, to second grade. After her home I went to a day care and performed there. The last performance of the season was for a home visit for a delightful 3 year old girl. She was so wonderful. Everything has been great, yet, I don't think I'm ever going to get used to having my picture taken so many times.

I'm also pleased with publicity I've received this past year. OCFamily.com, a parenting magazine based in Orange County, California, did an article about me. Kristen Schott, the writer, did a magnificent job, and I am indebted to her for her kind words and brilliant prose.

I was also interviewed for a local cable program called Arts 101. They did a five minute interview with me about Story Time Adventures, then they let me read on camera, one of my favorite books called Bubble Path Pirates.

But, with a new year stretching ahead of me, I have new opportunities in the works. In February, I will be presenting at a showcase for performers. This allows peformers to display their wares to librarians, in hopes of getting hired. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will happen and I will gain some work that way.

I'm just thrilled with the support I've received and how many new friends I've made through this.

If you want to see more, go to www.storytimeadventures.wetpaint.com. I hope to hear from you!
Julie Engelhardt

2 comments:

  1. Great work to end 2010. The prospects for 2011 look wonderful and I think you will capitalize on them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking ahead - maybe a web portfolio with some video? In any case, I'm so proud of you and your dedication.

    ReplyDelete