Sunday, March 22, 2009

A New Beginning

As a writer, I suppose I should have some sense of what to post, especially if I want people to read this. This is my second time out of the gate when it comes to blogging. I tried it about a year or so ago, but never stuck with it. I keep reading on Deb Ng's site and on About.com's site that it's important to have a blog, especially if you want to become a blog writer. So, here I go again.



My writing "office," though, has also become the family game room, and my son is currently playing a game which involves a lot of noise (from him), so it's rather hard to concentrate. But I will do my best!



My name is Julie Engelhardt and I have been a freelance writer for 20 some years. I'm rather amazed when I look at my resume to see what all I've done over the years. I currently write for Bay Area Parent Magazine located in San Francisco and in the Silicon Valley, which is the one I write for primarily. I'm currently working on an article about how to have eco-friendly birthday parties for your children. At first I wasn't too sure if I'd have much luck finding information, so I put in a Google alert, and the ideas have been coming in at a great rate. Thank you, Google!



There are great ideas for these parties. I've discovered ideas such as sending out e-vites, making your own pinata, and finding Earth-friendly party plates, cups, napkins, etc. One site that is wonderful is called Ecoage http://www.echoage.com/index.html. Here you can send out e-vites as well as have the party guests contribute to a worthwhile cause instead of bringing gifts to the party. Another idea is to have your party at a local nature park. I've just started researching this, so I have a bit to go.



If you have any ideas about green birthday parties, I'm interested in hearing about them!



Thanks for reading,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment