Sunday, March 22, 2009

It's Easter Time

I'm finding, as a writer, that you really do have to think outside the norm when it comes to writing projects.

This past Christmas I was looking for a unique way to make some extra money, fast, so I went online to see what ideas I could discover. Thankfully, I didn't have to do much research because I came upon "write Santa letters." Bingo! I really didn't relish the thought of working at a fast food restaurant or our local 'bulls-eye' department store. This I could do at home and utilize my writing skills.

But this type of writing is really quite different than writing articles for a magazine. It takes quite a bit of creativity and imagination. I am lucky, though, because I have a younger child, and although he no longer believes in St. Nick, I was still able to tap into his imaginative qualities and come up with things that Santa would write to a child.

This new process was rather nerve-wracking. I really didn't think anyone would bite, but they did--big time. I sent out e-mail to people I knew, and they sent it out to people they knew, and so on and so forth. Anyhow, I wrote nearly fifty letters this past year, and the feedback was phenominal. Children were taking their letters to school to share with their teacher and classmates, parents sent me photos of their children hugging their letters--it was really quite amazing.

Now that it's Spring 2009, I'm writing Easter letters for children, and I've even had a request for a Tooth Fairy letter. I love this, now, because I am able to have fun while writing these. l love the freedom it affords me.

So, if you know of anyone who wants an Easter letter from the EB, let me know!

Thanks for reading!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment